Beowabbit (beowabbit) wrote,
Beowabbit
beowabbit

  • Mood:
  • Music:

Music

A couple of months ago, I bought a large hard drive to put my music on. (This is all music that I legitimately own, by the way — a little of it is stuff I downloaded from pay sites or from artists who make their stuff available for free, but the vast majority is oggs I've converted from my own CDs, 'cause it's a lot more convenient to listen to them that way — I can listen on my iPAQ on the way to the T, for instance.)

Anyway, just a couple days after I moved all my music to it, it died. Horribly. And of course, I didn't have any backups, because (1) the files were so large, and (2) they weren't irreplaceable; I could re-rip from CD. Let us say I have learned that that was a mistake. :-) Yes, I can re-rip the music from CD, but it sure takes a long time.

The process of systematically going through (a major chunk of) my music collection in a fairly short period of time has been kind of interesting. Of course, I don't actually listen to everything as I rip it, but I listen to some of it, especially the stuff I haven't heard in a while. Usually I just don't think to have music on when I'm on the computer, but of course lately I've been constantly reminded, so I've had a pretty constant sound track lately, which is nice. I need to remember how much good music affects my mood.

As I mention, I've gotten through the stuff I'd already converted, but I was on a roll, so I'm continuing with stuff I didn't have on disk (as opposed to disc) yet. Much of that is CDs of my father's that I took after he died, and much of that I haven't actually listened to yet, so it's a good opportunity to get exposed to new music. It's almost all jazz, with some (Western) classical. He had about twelve shelf-feet of classical, and that was 5% of his CDs. The other 95% was jazz. I only took a fraction of it, but I tried to get a representative sample.

(LiveJournal is great for boring people with random trivia, isn't it? :-)
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 4 comments